Tamayo, which opened in 2005, serves approximately 300 students from kindergarten to eighth grade. It earned a Level 1+ SQRP rating in 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019, in addition to receiving an “Excelling” rating in the CPS Creative Schools Certification and "Established" rating in the CPS Supportive Schools Certification.
The school prides itself on a rigorous curriculum, an individualized approach and strong parent partnerships. In addition to traditional subjects, Tamayo offers an arts education that includes visual arts and music every week, as well as opportunities for dance, theater and instrument lessons. Additional academic offerings include health and fitness, coding and programming, Spanish and SEL (Social and Emotional Learning).
After school, students can participate in athletics, cooking lessons, a school musical and more. In fact, Tamayo is proud to offer 16 extra-curricular activities! Additionally, the school hosts monthly family events that celebrate student success and bring the community together!
- Chicago Center for Music Education (ChiME) - Music teacher, guitar lessons, summer glee camp, spring musical
- Forest Preserves of Cook County - Mighty Acorns Program for students
- Everfi - STEM technology programs for students
- UIC Extension - Healthy Cooking and Nutrition classes for families
- International Music Foundations - In and out of school performances
- The Museum of Contemporary Art - Artist led tours
- Under Armour “Morning Mile” – Walking and running in the morning
- Communities in Schools - Connecting students and families to community resources